Acid Reflux or Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a health condition in which the acid from the stomach leaks up into the gullet (oesophagus). The acid from the stomach irritates the esophagus and can lead to such things as severe discomfort and painful heartburn. If left untreated, damage can occur to the esophagus over time leading to more serious health conditions.
- Heartburn: this is the main symptom. This is a burning feeling which rises from the upper tummy (abdomen) or lower chest up towards the neck.
- Chest pain, which occurs because stomach acid is splashing into the esophagus, is a classic acid reflux symptom.
- Pain tends to be worse after a meal—especially a big meal—often means the stomach is overloaded and its contents have nowhere to go but up.
- A persistent cough, particularly at night sometimes occurs. This is due to the refluxed acid irritating the windpipe (trachea). Asthma symptoms of cough and wheeze can sometimes be due to acid leaking up (reflux).
- Nausea. You might wonder why acid reflux can make you feel nauseous at times. A couple of factors can play into this, and they relate to how acid reflux works. Reflux occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), a ring of muscle that separates your esophagus and your stomach, is unable to close tightly after you’ve ingested food or fluids.
- Other mouth and throat symptoms sometimes occur such as gum problems, bad breath, sore throat, hoarseness, and a feeling of a lump in the throat.
Common triggers of GERD include:
- Smoking. Nicotine products can weaken the lower esophageal sphincter, increasing your symptoms.
- Heavy meals and late-night meals.
- Some foods and drinks such as: fatty food (fried foods) peppermint, tomatoes, chocolate, spicy foods, hot drinks, coffee, and alcoholic drinks. Also, avoiding large-volume meals may help.
- Weight. If you are overweight it puts extra pressure on the stomach and encourages acid reflux.
- Posture. Lying down or bending forward a lot during the day encourages reflux.
Chiropractic care focuses on the health and function of the overall body. When the body’s spine and central nervous system are optimized and 100% healthy, all systems within the body perform correctly and without pain. Chiropractic care aims to realign the spine back to health, eliminate nerve interference, and return the body to a state of health and wellness. Chiropractor Singapore also provides patients with guidance on weight loss, improving diet and exercise plans. All of these elements are important in eliminating acid reflux and preventing it from returning.
ALSO READ: CHIROPRACTIC CARE: WHIPLASH